Joanne

Joanne
My life and crafting times.

Monday 24 June 2013

Summer is here

I love summer. It is my favorite time of year.
I also love to work outside and clean things up. I work hard out there. This year I decided to clear and level off an area in our yard to park our motorcycles. It has been a lot of work, with moving some larger rocks. I am sure that Jim dreads when I get a new idea into my head.
Well our spot is close to being completed. Yipee!
I'll have to post a picture later on when it isn't so dark out nor raining.


A couple of weekends ago I was folding laundry in my room. We have the window open at this time of year from which I could hear some rustling out in the trees. I went to look what it could be. I thought maybe it was our cat Callie but the noise was from something larger maybe a deer or bear. I watched for a bit. Out came a little bear between some of the trees. I managed to quietly call Arianna over to have a look too. We watched the little guy for a bit. I thought it would be a good idea to get a picture of it. I didn't get one that I was happy with but at least I got one.

Can you see the little cub in the center? 

He had a white nose. I was kind of surprised with that. He was rummaging around but slowly went up into the trees and disappeared

While out working in the yard (yes the bike parking space again) my cat came out of the forest looking around where I was working. I saw something out of the corner of my eye go under the pail.  The reason I noticed it was because it's tail is this amazing colour. I will have to show you a picture of the little creature so you will understand. Quite amazing really. I have seen them around, or rather I thought it was a very beautifully coloured snake. I usually just see the tail move very quickly. This is the first I caught one and could get a picture of it. If anyone knows what kind they are I would love to know.

A blue tailed lizard. About 6 inches or so. Quite tiny really.
July 2nd ... I have since found out this little lizard is known as a western skink. They are kind of rare . I have filled out a report saying that it is a juvenile kink, where it was located, the kind of vegetation around etc. Was informative to read up on them.
A friend of mine was over last week. I was showing her some of the flowers that are starting to grow on my banks. She is quite the gardener too. She offered me one of her plants saying it would be a wonderful addition to my yellow coreopsis. I think the variety is the Sunburst. Beautiful and colourful. Any how she dug up a few Rose Campion for me. I got to dig up a couple of holes for the new additions. I have a lot of grass on that bank! But it is looking so much better with a touch of colour on there. 

Coreopsis ~ maybe Sunburst.

Rose Campion that a friend gave to me.
Close to one of the Rose Campion I found another field flower. Not sure what it is. the stems and leaves are very fragile and dainty. The flowers are a beautiful blue. Wish I knew what this one is too.
Beautiful and delicate blue flower.

Today we got our first load of firewood just as the rain started. But it gives me another project to get started on. If it is nice out or at least not raining I'll have to get started on splitting it. That is about a cord and a quarter to be done. Yes I get to play outside some more and keep warm during the colder winter months. 

What have you been doing for the beginning of summer? I would love to hear all about it. 

Joanne

No comments: